Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mom.



Mom,
I tried to call you last night.
I nearly had a heart attack, as I frantically searched every book in our house for a number with your name,
And it wasn’t until the sun slept and the moon awakened that I realized,
Heavens number isn’t in the yellow pages,
And your old cell number is disconnected too,
And no matter how many times I call the operator ,
She wont connect me to “My mommy.”
So I sat there..
Staring at the four walls that have transformed from my sanctuary to my hell
Listening to the old church songs that no longer lift my spirit
Because how can songs lift a spirit that is in pieces?
Mom,
Your scent is no longer in your clothes
And those pictures of you and I smiling as if there is no more happiness in the world to attain
Have faded
And every object that you once touched so freely,
Has been packed into boxes with no name,
The sound from the tape sealing them shut made me cry,
The movers came and no matter how much I pleaded and begged,
They still would not resist in taking all I had left of you away
So mom,
I grabbed my jacket.
Running fast as I could and ignoring the pain that my deep breaths caused.
Ignoring the stares of school aged children sitting with their mothers and fathers,
I ran faster than I ever have.
Because mom ,
They are taking all that’s left of you in small brown boxes to the ends of the earth
And so to the ends of the earth I will travel to be with you,
Mom.
                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment